Thursday, June 3, 2010

Finally some details!

The crew at a Yehu Bank branch meeting.

Claralyn, Kayler, Sunni and Christian being gawked at by the Mwambalazi primary school children.
One year old coconut trees planted on the Shama la Salama beach.
View of the house and the garden from the water tower.
Sunni and Kayler sitting at the desks that their elementary school helped build.

So my mother hasn't been doing her duties by blogging about her experiences and Kenya, and I like the rest of you, are dying to know how they are doing. Well, I am here visiting for 12 days, so I can update for her! Both Louis and Chriss are in heaven! They feel a little guilty that they don't miss home more.
They have had a crew of 12 come to visit, partially for a Asante Foundation board (my dad's foundation), and partially because we miss grandma and grandpa! They moved into their new house only days before the guests arrived and how quickly they have learned what needs to be fixed. The first night they were without lights and only a few working faucets! Slowly but surely things are falling into place and before you know it there won't be a river running through the kitchen because of leaking sink! that is Louis's hope anyway.
Despite the glitches in the house, it is heaven on earth, the place is called shamba la salama, which means peaceful home, (or peaceful farm). Chriss has a huge thriving garden with everything you could think of planted. They got two German Shepard puppies, named Homer and Bart, to help keep the place safe. Today we added 5 chickens to keep the dogs entertained.

The Asante Foundation meetings have been productive, with very talented minds coming together, and we are all bursting with enthusiasm to get working and create some jobs here on the coast of Kenya. Louis has so many ideas, he can't contain them, and can't wait till the glitches are worked out of the house so he can focus on the REAL reason he is here.

As for me, it has been 10 years since I have been in Kenya. Instead of living in a gorgeous house on the beach, me and Fairb lived in a mud house in the village. We visited that village today, and although it was fun to see the same people, I was reminded of the poverty that still exists. Now that I have my own children it, sorrows me for the mothers of these village, and with all the efforts, manage little for their children.

It has been a great trip, hope to share more later!

Natalie

6 comments:

  1. I'm proud to say that I know the fantastic Pope family! You're doing great things and we pray for your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us updated! It is so fun to see what I have been hearing so much about. You are an incredible family to always be doing such great things for others. I hope that someday I can see Kenya first hand. Keep up the good work and let us know if there is anything we can do to help from here.
    Love, Kim Clark Miller

    ReplyDelete
  3. the glitches that Natalie talks about are still there. No hot water but we got the washing machine to work. We finally got the cargo container removed and now they can finish the grass which they plant one blade at a time. It is the rainy and it really rains hard. We harvested the first of our corn. It tastes wonderful. Corn in Kenya is hard and chewy . We got our african staff to taste it. They were nervous at first the then really liked it. It tastes good. If anyone wants to send us some corn seeds from carpenter seed co we would love it. address: PO Box 5353 Diani Beach, Coast provence, Diani, Kenya 80401 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still need seed? Will you get it if I mail it? You can't put too much on this blog. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really happy to get a report. I was talking to Mom and Dad today and they asked me if I had received any emails from Louis. I think they are a little anxious to hear from you. I'll have them check out this blog site. I'm glad that you have a wonderful garden. We miss you both, though we know that you don't miss us. That's OK. We're glad that you are happy.

    ReplyDelete